Saturday 30 March 2013

Finding white a bit of a struggle.

I have finished the sampler that I did as a result of refreshing my memory of Jude Hill's techniques prior to getting fully immersed in the What If Diaries, and the problem now is that I have somehow to get myself to work with white! I see white as dull and flat and boring. I could just choose to use colour but a part of me feels that I will be missing out if I do not try to use white and non-dyed fabric. 
I have woven a couple of base cloths, one from different white fabrics and one from an old white handkerchief,  but I have idea as to where I will go with them.  After much stitching and unpicking and starting again I have decided to just stitch and see what happens, if anything.  I think that my stitching so far on the hanky base expresses something of my ambivalence towards white and confusion as to what to do;  at the moment it has what  could become organic plant shapes surrounded by rigid straight lines - creativity imprisoned has just come to mind!   I shall keep going and maybe all will become clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment